About Ouija Boards & Misconceptions
- Ouija boards do not summon demons.
- They do not open up portals.
- They do not open you up to possessions.
They are merely a way for spirits to commune with you by using your energy, so listen up.
And for the love of anything and everything, please remember that spirits can lie; they can say silly or scary things to frighten you so that they get a laugh out of it.
They may have heard of some of the urban legends going around about Zozo or some such malarkey, and play on that to give you the heebie jeebies.
Sometimes you might get messages that don’t make sense, and that could be because there isn’t enough energy for the spirit to communicate properly, they may not speak your language, or they may be messing about.
With any form of spirit communication you can come into contact with a malicious spirit. It is a risk and it can be scary, but they cannot hurt you because all that is happening with a Ouija board, is the spirit utilising the energy you give them (set parameters before you begin the session if you’re worried) to get you to move the planchette to convey their message.
You haven’t opened a portal. Or a channel. Or a gateway. You are not summoning or conjuring. That is a wholly different, more complicated and more potentially dangerous type of magick.
Ouija boards aren’t magick. It’s a game and a tool to talk. Like texting but with spirits. As for saying “Goodbye”, it’s important to be polite.
Nothing bad can come from Ouija and spirit boards.
Ouija Board Etiquette
The precautions you can take are that you may want to cleanse the board and planchette before using it.
Here is a list of cleansing methods:
You may also want to cast a protective/defensive circle and/or some wards. Here’s some posts for that:
If you wish, you can state that you are only offering a small amountof energy for the spirits to borrow to help convey their message. Most spirits are people, most people are decent. They will respect your wishes.
When it comes to,… shall we say Ouija etiquette, and any sort of spirit work, the main thing to bear in mind is that the spirits you’re likely communing with were people.You should act as you in any civilised conversation: be polite.
Here are some recommendations geared more specifically to spirits:
- Do not ask about the manner of death. This is basic common sense. It is impolite and unkind and may cause a spirit to stop communication or become hostile. If a spirit becomes hostile they cannot harm you through a Ouija game but they can frighten you.
- Stay as calm as you can. Ouija boards are games. They’re supposed to be fun. It is possible that a less than nice spirit may detect your fear and prey on it by sending you unsettling messages. Do not be afraid. No harm can come to you.
- Spirits can be mischevious and they can lie. Take everything said by them with a pinch of salt.
- As I said before, most spirits and people and most people are decent, so if you ask for something to be done, e.g., you want the spirits to stop knowing your emotions, you can ask them to.
- Don’t go into a game looking to contact a specific person. It is unlikely that the spirit you so sorely desire to speak to will appear for you. Especially someone famous. Spirits can play tricks for their own amusement and lead you into thinking you’re speaking with David Bowie when really it’s a bloke named Keith from two towns over.
- Always says goodbye. Not for any other reason other than to politeness and respect. Say thank you and say goodbye, just as you would when ending any conversation. Think of communications via a Ouija board as something like a phonecall, with added paranormalcy.
You can try to use spirit boards alone, though only few have much success as there isn’t usually enough energy for a spirit to use to get you to share their message.
Again, I’m no expert on this and you’re more likely to get concise and correct answers from @theouijagirl.
This post is by the blogger mentioned above: 20 Misconceptions About Ouija.
Photo Credit [X]